Sunday, May 30, 2010

Smells Like Irony

Does anyone know what irony is? I mean really, do you really really know what irony is? I'm asking because I think I know, but I'm not really sure.

Is it ironic that the lead actor from Diff'rent Strokes died from a stroke?


I wonder whether Willis ever did tell him what he was talking about.


A simple Google search reveals irony to be:

The use of words to convey the opposite of their literal meaning; a statement or situation where the meaning is contradicted by the appearance or presentation of the idea.

Three kinds of irony are commonly recognized:

1.Verbal irony is a trope in which the intended meaning of a statement differs from the meaning that the words appear to express.

2.Situational irony involves an incongruity between what is expected or intended and what actually occurs.

3.Dramatic irony is an effect produced by a narrative in which the audience knows more about present or future circumstances than a character in the story.

Sounds simple enough, I guess. Let's see how the real world uses irony though.




















Can you tell which picture is and isn't ironic?

One person we all know not to ask the definition from is Alanis Morissette. Does the fact that nothing she sang about in that song was actually ironic, make that song ironic?





Luckily for her, and for ourselves, the guys at College Humor set the record straight, and what we have now is a song that is actually ironic.





Maybe I should try and learn from this guy, as he seems to have a pretty strong grasp of the concept.





Ummm, okay. Perhaps this chart best breaks down the meaning of irony.




Is it ironic that despite all the above, I still can't explain what irony is? Is it? Is it?! Seriously, I'm asking, because I don't have a clue!

No comments:

Post a Comment